Sunday 29 June 2008

I don't update much, and I'm sorry...

We are still getting a trickle of new sign-ups. One yesterday was in response to a flyer posted at St. Aloysius. Thanks to David B. for putting up the flyers around town. I think, though, that is time to actually start writing letters to pastors. I did send out emails when we launched, but I think actual hard copy, tangible letters may make more of an impact. Also, I need to summon the courage to ask my parish priest to put an announcement in the weekly bulletin.

I have heard from people that this has been a spiritually beneficial exercise for themselves: when we pray for other people, our charity increases. It helps take us out of our own problems, too. As a stay-at-home mom of two small children, I can sometimes get crabby about being stuck inside with two little monkeys on rainy days, or wishing we had more money and a bigger house, or whatever. Then, I say the prayers for priests and I remember what a difficult task our priests have. It inspires me to keep Fighting The Good Fight. We all have our vocations - our individual ways of answering God's call to holiness.

We (my husband and I, with the help of some friends) are going to be building another web site aimed at supporting Catholic families in Scotland. We don't want to exclude singles, however, so we're working on defining our focus. It's just that it's come to our attention that there are other Catholics out there who are looking for support as Catholics in an increasingly hostile secular culture. I think that some people are not finding everything they need at the parish level. We receive the great gift of the sacraments at Mass, but do we have friends whom we can depend on for encouragement in our day-to-day lives? The Church is always urging us forward, both in matters of personal piety and as agents of evangelization within society. Fellowship and support are necessary to stay the course and we hope to facilitate this with a new web site.

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, needs... please let us know!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

Do not be afraid. There are many people around the world who are praying. God bless your outreach.

matthew archbold said...

I think it's absolutely brilliant what you're doing. As a Dad who works at home with five children, I too know the power of prayer to get through the day.
But you remind me that I don't pray enough for those in the priesthood. I will include them starting today. Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

His Excellency, the Bishop of the Diocese of Tulsa, Oklahoma has given Father Mark a special mandate to live in adoration before the Most Blessed Sacrament, in a spirit of thanksgiving and intercession, that he might make reparation before the Eucharistic Face of Jesus for all his brothers in Holy Orders. At the same time, he is available to the priests and deacons of the Diocese for spiritual and sacramental support in their pursuit of holiness.

Vultus Christi

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Would you maybe give a wee mention to this blog:

Juventutem Scotland
http://juventutemscotland.blogspot.com/

(This is the Scottish Chapter of Juventutem)

Anonymous said...

What has happened to this website, praying for priests/glasgow?